Are you dealing with cat behavior problems? It can be frustrating when cats have behavior issues like inappropriate elimination, scratching, biting, or anxiety. Fortunately, there are many resources available that can help a cat with behavior issues.
Cat behavior consultants
If you're having a cat behavior problem and you've tried resolving it yourself without success, consider hiring a cat behavior consultant (aka a cat trainer). These professionals can assess a cat’s history, temperament, environment, and reaction to various situations to help everyone involved understand what it will take to manage or correct the behavior.
Here are some organizations to help you find a cat behaviorist or behavior consultant:
- International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants
- Certified Applied Animal Behaviorists
- American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
Your veterinarian also might be able to recommend someone. Make sure to visit cat behavior consultants' websites and social media channels to evaluate their effectiveness and client satisfaction.
Resources on feline behavior and training
Here are some recommended books, videos, and other resources about cat behavior and training.
- Clicker Training for Cats by Karen Pryor
- Cat Sense: How the New Feline Science Can Make You a Better Friend to Your Pet by John Bradshaw
- The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions and the Psychology of Cats by Dr. Nicholas Dodman
- Starting from Scratch: How to Correct Behavior Problems in Your Adult Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett
- Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett
- Cat vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett
- Cornell CatWatch: This is an informative newsletter from the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Dogs Have Owners, but Cats Have Staff! DVD by Patricia McConnell: An applied animal behaviorist helps you to understand cat behavior and gives practical advice on solving behavior issues.
- Tellington TTouch: Tellington TTouch videos show a gentle approach to pet care and training.
Products to help with cat behavior problems
These products can help with cat behavior and training by providing a happy, healthy, and enriching environment for your feline friend.
Taking your cat for a walk can give your cat both mental and physical stimulation. Here are some walking tools for cats:
- Come With Me Kitty cat harness by PetSafe
- Kitty Holster cat harness by Crazy K Farm
- Size Right adjustable cat harness by Coastal Pet Products
Calming products also can help with cat behavior issues. They include:
- NurtureCALM 24/7 feline calming collar
- Feliway pheromone diffuser or spray
- Nutritional supplements (including Nutri-Calm, Zylkene, and Solliquin) — to be used as advised by your veterinarian
- ThunderShirt or Ace bandage wraps
The right cleaning products can help with cat behavior issues like inappropriate elimination. Some options are:
- Nature’s Miracle